I have been asked to reflect on the photographers I have looked at and add some notes and thoughts on their works. These are added below.
- All the photographers I have looked at are ladies. May be this is due to self-expression being more socially accepted amongst women. They are also all white!!!
- Is there some evidence of self exhibitionism in there?
- Nakedness is a metaphor for vulnerability, baring your soul, being comfortable with yourself, expressing sexual frustration, exhibitionism.
- When looking at Woodman’s and Brotherus’ work, I have asked non-photographers for their opinion, which ranges from weird to perverse and pointless. Therefore does this mean such images need to be captioned or further written context should be added?
- I believe that Woodman is addressing her own feelings, and is also talking to others about sexuality, vulnerability and empowering women to be more bold, not only in their work, but in their lives in general. Brotherus is speaking to all people, so they can try to have empathy with being involuntarily childless and not to be afraid of who we al are.
- Clearly all of the works have some element of self-indulgence in there, but self portraiture gives you a willing subject that is constantly accessible.
I will try to look at some male photographers as I progress through the course to gain a balance.